Jen Shepherd MSW, LICSW, CCA
Certified Clinical Aromatherapist, Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker
For over the past 20 years, I’ve served individuals, families, communities, and organizations as a clinical social worker in mental health and medical settings. I’ve become passionate about taking an integrated and holistic approach. I’ve learned that a peaceful and healthful balance is experienced by harmonizing one’s body, mind, and spirit.
As wellness and integrative care becomes more mainstream, behavioral and mental health professionals often want to add holistic modalities into their practice. But how? I want to empower you with the knowledge and tools that you need to safely and effectively integrate aromatherapy, and the use of essential oils, into your approach with your clients.
I learned about essential oils in 1990. I was drawn quickly to psycho-aromatherapy, which specifically focuses on the potential psychological and emotional effects of essential oils. I’d like to teach you about aromatherapy too.
I believe that peace and wellness is experienced by harmonizing the body, mind, and spirit.
I furthered my studies, interned, and became a Certified Clinical Aromatherapist. I am fascinated by how the emotional states and well-being of an individual can be influenced by their psychological and emotional reaction to an aroma, as well as the physiological effect.
As a Certified Clinical Aromatherapist and Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker, I offer a variety of aromatherapy and wellness services for behavioral health professionals, as well as individuals within the community. I am a consultant, educator, speaker, and a practicing clinician.
I look forward to joining you on your professional and personal wellness journey.
Aromatherapy background and experience
- Certified Clinical Aromatherapist recognized by the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA)
- Therapeutic Foundations of Essential Oils – Tisserand Institute
- French Aromatherapy/Aromatic Medicine Level 1 Certificate – New York Institute of Aromatic Studies (formerly The School for Aromatic Studies)
- Aromatic Scholars Clinical Aromatherapy Certificate – New York Institute of Aromatic Studies
- Foundations of Aromatherapy Certificate – New York Institute of Aromatic Studies
- Aromatherapy Foundations Certificate – Normandale Community College Continuing Education
- 2 year internship with Jodi Baglien, Certified Clinical Aromatherapist, including: training outpatient mental health clinicians, teaching, conferences, and speaking
- Student mentor – The School for Aromatic Studies
- Ongoing continuing education for clinical certification
- Clinical Aromatherapy practice, speaking, and teaching experience including: consultations, conferences, schools, wellness centers, business functions, lunch n’ learns, support groups, etc.
Social Work background and experience
- Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker – State of Minnesota Board of Social Work
- Communications Committee – Minnesota Association of Home Care Social Workers
- Master of Social Work – Augsburg College
- Ongoing continuing education for clinical licensure
- 17 years of social work practice with individuals and groups in a variety of settings including: outpatient mental health, hospitals, homecare, refugee and immigrant care, schools, case management, and managed care organizations
Additional background and experience
- Specialty Certification in Wellness Coaching – National Exercise Trainers Association
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology – College of St. Catherine
- Health Care Interpreting Certificate, American Sign Language – College of St. Catherine
- Associate of Arts, Psychology – North Hennepin Community College
I offer a variety of aromatherapy and wellness services for individuals, groups, communities, and organizations. To respect and honor your time (and mine), I have found that it is best to start with a complimentary consultation. This complimentary consultation can take place over the phone (15-30 minutes) or via email, and it is not meant to be an in-depth business or clinical consultation. This will allow us to explore if we are a good fit for each other, as well as outline and define the services that will be tailored to fit your or your organization’s needs.