Jen Shepherd MSW, LICSW, CCA
Certified Clinical Aromatherapist and Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker
I love to watch the instant transformation that happens when a client inhales an essential oil. I am grateful that I am able to witness this transformation, especially with clients who may have anxiety or trauma. I may offer Mandarin (Citrus reticulata) , or Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) , and their facial expression, posture, and mood changes. I can see their shoulders relax, their breathing get slower and deeper, and it is evident that their thought process has slowed down. This is where the passion of my work lies.
As wellness and integrative care becomes more mainstream, behavioral and mental health professionals often want to add holistic modalities like aromatherapy into their practice. However, they’re not quite sure how to go about it. I want to empower you with the knowledge and tools that you need to safely and effectively integrate aromatherapy, and the use of essential oils, into your approach with your clients.
I was first introduced to essential oils in the early ’90s. As I learned more about them, it became clear that my primary interest revolved around psycho-aromatherapy. My work as a clinical aromatherapist focuses on the potential psychological and emotional effects of essential oils. I am fascinated by how the emotional states and well-being of an individual can be influenced by their psychological and emotional reaction to an aroma, as well as the physiological effect.
I believe that peace and wellness is experienced by harmonizing the mind, soul, and body.
For over the past 20 years, I have served individuals, families, communities, and organizations in various settings and roles. Several years ago I decided to further my studies and become a Certified Clinical Aromatherapist.
As a Certified Clinical Aromatherapist and Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker, I offer a variety of aromatherapy and wellness services for behavioral and mental health professionals, as well as individuals within the community. I am a consultant, educator, speaker, and a practicing clinician.
I look forward to joining you on your professional and personal wellness journey.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND AFFILIATIONS
(Current* and Past)
- Certified Clinical Aromatherapist National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA)*
- State Co-Representative and Professional Member Alliance of International Aromatherapists (AIA)*
- Instructor Normandale Community College – Continuing Education and Customized Training*
- Adjunct Faculty Anoka-Ramsey Community College – Integrative Health and Healing Program*
- Therapeutic Foundations of Essential Oils Tisserand Institute
- French Aromatherapy Certificate New York Institute of Aromatic Studies*
- Aromatic Scholars Clinical Aromatherapy Certificate New York Institute of Aromatic Studies
- Foundations of Aromatherapy Certificate New York Institute of Aromatic Studies
- Aromatherapy Foundations Certificate Normandale Community College
- 2 year internship Jodi Baglien, Certified Clinical Aromatherapist
- Student mentor The School for Aromatic Studies
- Clinical Aromatherapist NE Wellness
- Ongoing continuing education for clinical certification*
- Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker Minnesota Board of Social Work*
- Board Approved Supervisor Minnesota Board of Social Work*
- Communications Committee Chair Minnesota Association of Home Care Social Workers*
- Member Minnesota Society for Clinical Social Work*
- Continuing Education Provider CEP-1012 Minnesota Board of Social Work*
- School Social Work License Minnesota Department of Education
- Master of Social Work Augsburg University
- 20 years of social work practice with individuals and groups in a variety of settings including: outpatient mental health, hospitals, home care, refugee and immigrant care, schools, case management, and managed care organizations.
- Ongoing continuing education for clinical license*
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Specialty Certification in Wellness Coaching National Exercise Trainers Association*
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology St. Catherine University
- Health Care Interpreting Certificate American Sign Language St. Catherine University
- Ongoing continuing education for wellness coaching specialty certification*
- Community Relations Director and Publisher The Phoenix Spirit*
I offer a variety of aromatherapy and wellness services for individuals, groups, communities, and organizations. To respect and honor our time, I have found that it is best to start with a complimentary consultation. This complimentary consultation can take place over the phone (15-30 minutes) or via email, and it is not meant to be an in-depth business or clinical consultation. This will allow us to explore if we are a good fit for each other, as well as outline and define the services that will be tailored to fit your or your organization’s needs.